Friday 10 October 2014

Se7en - Film Review


Seven deadly sins. Seven ways to die.

Two homicide detectives are on a desperate hunt for a serial killer whose crimes are based on the seven deadly sins in this dark and haunting film that takes viewers from the tortured remains of one victim to the next. The seasoned Detective Somerset researches each sin in an effort to get inside the killer's mind, while his novice partner, Mills, scoffs at his efforts to unravel the case.


"- It's more comfortable for you to label me as insane.

- It's very comfortable"

I'm sure most of you will have heard of or seen this one - David Fincher, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman teaming up on a movie together isn't exactly something that would go unnoticed.....

I went into Se7en with low expectations, knowing I was meant to like this film - I find The Usual Suspects highly overrated, however I was also meant to like that. There is one major difference between The Usual Suspects, which I didn't like very much, and Se7en, which I enjoyed way way way too much. That difference being that in Se7en, I cared about the characters. 

David Fincher creates a world so cruel, so dark, that the only thing left to hang on to in this film, the only thing left to put your faith into is the characters. Of course, Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman need credit where credit is due - Pitt's character could easily have become a stereotypical crime film sidekick, but due to his performance there are small nuances which he puts into his interpretation of the character which totally change the landscape of the film.

Morgan Freeman's character is even more fulfilling of crime film tropes, yet his performance makes you forget about this while watching the film...

In my mind, Se7en is a perfect film - the exact right balance between darkness, humour, character development and action - while it's genre is crime, I can't help thinking that the scenes I will remember in a years time won't be the big setpieces, the car chases, the final scene. What I will remember - truly remember - will be small character moments: the dinner at Mills house when the house shakes springs to mind immediately.

This is my third David Fincher film (the other two being The Social Network and The Game), and is by far the best. I can't wait to see Fight Club, Gone Girl and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, as well as the rest of his filmography.... and judge if they are as perfect as this is.

9.5/10, a clear classic that will be remembered for years to come.

Josiah Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment